Friday 21 March 2008
I will be mostly getting into mischief, here:

Swell running 30ft @ 9 seconds, wind NNE Force 8-9. Sea temperature, a Mediterranean & unprecedented 8°C. The Beaufort scale also suggests that whistling may be heard in telegraph wires & umbrellas will be used with difficulty - Just as I was going to get my parasol out as a hairstyle saver while rolling in the hail storms...typical. :o)

-Update-

•≈


Fig2: Escaping the confines of the harbour to cross swords with the midway surf, has today, proven itself to be a test of steel in it's own right...a beach launch, nigh on impossible. When you're waiting to bolt out of shelter here in these conditions, timing is everything. I was having a warm up roll just out of crop below the life ring, when this came thundering over the wall.

•≈

Fig3: Later this evening, cold & satisfied, I decided to hoof it along the cliff edges, & see how conditions were fairing at the far Northern tip, & found the lighthouse ghosting through wild reeks of spray. How to die suddenly in a sea kayak...kept crossing my mind...needless to say, I turned about face & headed back for some warm dry woolly feet & the cabin wood burner. I'm capable, no a bampot, the two should never be cross-referenced. Tomorrow it may be possible. •≈Cailean will know where this part of the world is & the ferocious contempt it can muster on a whim for kayaks & shipping vessels alike...


Over stopped monochrome variation...1...2...3 ...GO! What was it the man said? Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative.
 
posted by •≈ Sgian Dubh at 15:29:00 |


2 Retorts:


At 23 March 2008 at 21:57, Blogger Cailean Macleod

Port Nis harbour I presume. However do I spy a 'euro' style paddle in the hands of the paddler in the bottom shot? Or do I need to visit Specsavers? ;-)

 

At 24 March 2008 at 17:27, Blogger •≈ Sgian Dubh

Indeed Port Nis Cailean. Also, no visit to Specsavers is needed, that is in indeed my split carbon Wing spare.

Caught not using the skinny Greenland stick - I shall lower my head in shame momentarily! Although it's good to keep in trim with a variety of paddles aye. :o)

As an aside, one of these fancy beasts will soon replace it, backlog willing, & live on the aft deck & the Euro split wing will arguably be relegated to shovelling snow. :o)

•≈ Greenlandic Carbon 2-piece